Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Komalas, Are You Listening?

Hi Everyone,

I came across this letter in today's ST Online edition. It seemed amusing!

Mutton Biriyani in a Vegetarian Restaurant?

ON A recent visit to Komalas restaurant, I noticed that it has introduced a dish called mutton biryani.

The response I got when I enquired further on this item was that it was 'vegetarian mutton', followed by 'Don't eat if you don't want'.

I fail to understand how mutton biryani can be vegetarian.

Many people go to Komalas, thinking that it is a fully vegetarian restaurant as they have reservations about mixing vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes.

Komalas needs to clarify if its restaurant is a fully vegetarian one and the ingredients used in all its preparations are also the same.

A. Srinivas
17 July 2007
ST Online



This is an issue of poor customer service more than anything else. If the person taking orders had been kind enough to mention that the 'mutton' was made from soy, vegetable gluten and other vegetable products, I think Mr. Srinivas might not have gotten so upset.

Maybe they should have better informed people manning the cash register! Or at least those who are polite enough to refrain from saying 'if you don't want, don't order'.

As someone who frequents vegetarian restaurants myself, I can tell you that Anand bavan, the other big indian vegetarian restaurant chain in Singapore also serves 'mock meat' on its menu. The stark difference between the two restaurants is that Anand Bavan advertises the 'benefits' of eating 'soy meat', and has educated its staff to answer customer queries.

Komalas might do well to take a leaf from Anand Bavan's book!

On the issue of mock meat itself, I have very mixed views. On one hand, I am not about to dismiss out of hand the health benefits that soy based products offer. As a vegetarian gourmand however, I find the idea of 'mock meat' very limiting. The challenge of cooking with vegetables is something that marks the true gourmet giants of Indian cuisine.

Did you know for example, that Hotel Saravanabavan in Chennai has over 120 varieties of DOSAI alone? In case you were wondering, Hotel Saravanabavan a vegetarian restaurant. One in which you are required to queue for two and a half hours in a mile long queue in the sweltering heat to get a place to eat.

My great grandmother, my grandmother and my mother have been cooking and eating 'meatless' all their lives. I will probably inherit their recipies and their proud traditions as well, and I will pass them down to my own children.

Ultimately, I am not in a position to comment on the virtues of a vegetarian palette over a meat eating one since I don't eat meat myself.

However, let me add that KOMALAs could be a little more creative in naming their dish. Mock Mutton Biriyani seems decent enough to me; at least you inform people that this isn't the real thing.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Komalas has always been a vegetarian restaurant. Furthermore, it is pretty common to find mock vegetarian meat nowadays. Just for you info, I come from a vegetarian family by birth as well and I didn't find the new addition to the menu shocking for I already had a preconceived notion that the mutton would have been soy beans.My family has been frequenting both restaurant chains for years. I guess it wouldn't hurt Komalas to mention that it is mock mutton, but I don't really think its necessary for it to be clearly written as Komala Villas has been around for eons and they have always had vegetarian meals, now why would they suddenly have meat items?

deviousdiv said...

hmm anonymous.

It might be nice if you left your name the next time around. I'd rather enjoy addressing a person instead of an invisible entity.

I do understand that Komalas has always been a vegetarian restaurant. But tourists, who frequent these places DO NOT.

I have, on more than one occasion, come across tourists who will check and re-check if the food served is vegetarian. And there are some who will find it alarming if they see the word 'mutton' in a vegetarian restaurant.

Its not a question of what is obvious, but an issue of being consumer friendly.

deviousDiv

Anonymous said...

The Komalas signage screams out vegetarian!! So it is possible that the staff member got a bit irritated by the question especially if the customer was an Indian Singaporean. Even then I have to admit that Komalas staff can be really rude sometimes. And it is very possible that if it was a tourist or foreigner, the staff member might have rattled off the history of mock mutton and even given a kitchen tour. Also, the reply that "if you don't want, don't order" was rather curt. I prefer Ananda Bavan where the staff members take the effort to even mention their latest dishes before you order. I have seem them patiently explain queries. Bear in mind that their staff are a lot more busy than Komalas'.

Anonymous said...

Ihave been a regular customer of KOMALA'S for the past 12 years. I found their vegetarian food fresh, hygenic, value for money and their staff are the best in Singapore with excellent product knowledge and customer care. Their brand is in line with SIA in the F&B Industry. I suspect that Mr. Srinivas has walked into Komala's with Monday Blues or paid for by the compediters. Don't believe a word of what he said about Komala's

Anonymous said...

i agree totally with u're views....when there are so sooo many endless number of pure vegetarian dishes without being masked as a supposed meat dish....why have such mock substitudes....?

Anonymous said...

I recently got one of those "Don't eat if you don't want" comments at, of all places, a Gelare outlet in a suburban mall.

That experience turned me off that outlet (I'm a sucker for their waffles so I can't bring myself to boycott Gelare altogether).

I'd ordered a drink, a sandwich and a small waffle w ice cream for dinner. It happened to be a tuesday so the waffle was half-priced to boot.

I paid at the counter with my HSBC Visa, which gave me a further 10% off (stated in BOLD at said counter).

After I get my receipt, I examine it and realise the 10% discount had not been factored in. I questioned the (sole) waitstaff, and after 10 minutes she returned with the reply "Today tuesday, waffle promotion so no discount"

Ordinarily this would have already pissed me off as it was NOT stated anywhere. But what got me more, was the fact that I'd had lunch at the same outlet a few weeks prior and the cashier had explained that while the already-discounted waffle was exempt, all other items on the menu were 10% on use of the Visa card.

I pointed that out to the waitstaff who mumbled something, and then shuffled off.

Then she came back, informed me that the sandwich I'd ordered was unavailable. I wondered why the cashier hadn't known that. Nonetheless I picked a replacement. The food arrived in due time but I realised that the item I'd initially ordered was a full 3 bucks more than the replacement. I questioned the waitstaff again, and she said "it's ok".

"It's ok?!?!"

I told her, politely, that I had OVERPAID and not the other way around. Finally comprehending, she said she'd "check". Same muttering, same shuffling. A full hour passed and needless to say, I got no definitive answer.

I walked up to the manager, shoved the sandwich under her nose and demanded an explanation. This is what I got:

"Pay by card cannot refund. If you dont want then you don't eat. Get something else."

I was furious at this point in time. Seeing that it was pointless to reason with such imbeciles, I swallowed my food as quickly as possible and stormed out, having paid a good 5 plus bucks (close to 7 with tax) MORE than I ought to have.

Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Dear Bee,

:( Oh no.

You should have made a total scene!!!

Anonymous said...

hi there ppl. I'm really into shoes and I had been searching for that singular brand. The prices as regards the boots were about 340 pounds on every site. But definitively I bring about this site selling them for half price. I in reality like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase them. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

good day people. I'm really into shoes and I had been searching for the sake of that singular model. The prices for the boots are approximately 170 pounds on every site. But for all I set this area selling them as a remedy for half price. I really like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy these. what is your opinion?